Sony BDP-S350

Discussion of Features on the Hardware Info Site
DAve
LPCM

Sony BDP-S350

Post by DAve »

Please discuss the Sony BDP-S350 in this thread.
TOOLhead08
DTS

Post by TOOLhead08 »

I currently have a PS3 but I'm now looking for a 2nd blu-ray player for my room. I was considering a low-end player like Magnavox or Insignia but I'm afraid those won't have firmware updates, at least not as frequent as Sony or Sammy.

After researching for a couple of hours, I am torn between Sammy's BD-2500/2550 and the S-350. I don't really need to stream Netflix movies but it would be nice to have. Right now I'm leaning on the S-350. Is this a good player? If not, what would you guys recommend? My price range is between $200-$300. Thanks.

DC
DAve
LPCM

Post by DAve »

I got the Panasonic BD55 since I wanted the 7.1 analog.

I have heard good things about the Sony S550 and I imagine these apply equally to the S350.

Personally I am somewhat of a brand snob and am still very wary of the Korean and other manufacturers...

Of course the Panasonic players have more or less run dry, so the Sony's look like the best bet these days.

For me Netflix streaming would be truly valuable if it was in HD, though SD streaming is probably ok for TV shows - in any case I get it with my TiVo so I don't need it in my player....
TOOLhead08
DTS

Post by TOOLhead08 »

I've heard good things about the Panny's. I would love to pick up an S550 but that's out of my price range. I think I'll pick up the S350 on Fremont Fry's, maybe tonight. I checked their site and it's $250 right now. That's good enough for me. :)

You're right about Netflix. It doesn't really matter right now since they aren't streaming HD content yet. Still hoping for Netflix streaming on my PS3 but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks, Dave. Hope to run into you some time here in the Bay Area.

DC
DAve
LPCM

Post by DAve »

maybe Tool will do a show and we can go! :D
DAve
LPCM

Post by DAve »

Yeah $250 is a good price for the S350.

Hope the price matches in store...
TOOLhead08
DTS

Post by TOOLhead08 »

DAve wrote:Yeah $250 is a good price for the S350.

Hope the price matches in store...
I went to Fry's last night. They didn't have any S350 in stock. The price didn't match the store but I was hoping to convince them to match their online price. I should have ordered online and did Store Pickup but took a chance. I ended picking up the S550 for $350. They had an In-Store special and I thought it was a decent price. It's out of my price range but I'll just grab from my March budget. :D

TOOL probably won't do a show any time soon. They'll probably work on their next album the next couple of years. I will be going to The Killers concert this coming April in SJ, maybe I'll see you there.

Yeah, I'm sort of a rare breed - NASCAR/TOOL/BLU fananatic. I mean come on!
DAve
LPCM

Post by DAve »

I would quite like to see The Killers, though currently I don't have the budget to buy tix (or anything else for that matter :( ).

Will let you know if I end up going though...

I can understand Blu and Tool... but Nascar? :D
DAve
LPCM

Post by DAve »

Cool about the 550 - glad to see you have a budget... :)

Looks like the 350 is getting rare now too... I guess they are prepping for the next gen players to hit...
TOOLhead08
DTS

Post by TOOLhead08 »

Yup. Amazon doesn't have any in stock of the S350's the last few days. I pondered for a while at Fry's that night. I hope these players are future-proof. I'd hate to plunk down another $300 for a player. So far I'm happy with the purchase.

Hey, that NASCAR comment was uncalled for! I love racing, man. It's the only sport I follow, though. A Filipino kid who likes NASCAR. There's definitely something wrong with that. :D
DAve
LPCM

Post by DAve »

Well Nascar is fun to watch.

I am not much of a sports fan either, though I play and occasionally watch ice hockey.
TOOLhead08
DTS

Akira blu-ray

Post by TOOLhead08 »

I got Akira a while back. I decided to pop it in on the S350 last night. It's supposed to be 192kHz/24 bit for the Japanese channel but when I played it, it came out as Stereo on the receiver. The English channel plays fine. When I popped it in the PS3, it played flawlessly with the Japanese channel and WOW. I wish all of the audio sounded that good.

I was scratching my head why I was having trouble getting the Japanese channel play on the S350. Perhaps I didn't set up my player correctly? I read a little bit form other forums and it looks like it is an issue but I'm not sure if S350 can't handle 192kHz.
DAve
LPCM

Post by DAve »

Yeah the 192 is likely going to cause problems on some players.

Check to see if there has been a firmware update for the player - it may help with this.

Apparently my second PS3 was delivered today - I won it in a contest.

If I get a chance I will post about that :)
DAve
LPCM

Post by DAve »

BTW I ended up pickup up two of those Fox box sets at Frys.

I had to sell my original copies of a couple of titles (got over $10 each!) but the price was so good I was definitely on the make!
TOOLhead08
DTS

Post by TOOLhead08 »

I'll check if there's a firmware update. Thanks, Dave.

Man, a 2nd PS3. That's an awesome prize. Looking forward to your post when you get the time.

You really took advantage of the Fry's sale last week, eh? For $22, it's like buy 1 get 2 free! Can't beat that.