How Far We Have Come

Discussion of the Statistics and Trends
DAve
LPCM

How Far We Have Come

Post by DAve »

Welcome to the Blu-ray Stats Forum.

We have come a long way since I started these pages in order to check trends and correct individuals on forums that pull number out of ... umm.. thin air to support their ludicrous arguments.

Lately we have seen both BD50 and AVC become predominant - certainly a move in the right direction.

We still see the major Blu-ray studios with 100% lossless audio presentations, and Warner trying a little harder to do the same.

Have fun with the forum - I will try to keep track as best I can.

Cheers!
DAve.
The Guardian
Dolby Digital

Post by The Guardian »

Forum looks good!

Let's not forget what the CE companies have to do though... deliver more products that have features like the upcoming Panasonic DMP-BD50...

I have a PS3 now but I don't want to pay for an HDMI receiver so I have bad audio... so I can't wait to get the new Panny!
DAve
LPCM

Post by DAve »

I was waiting for the Panny myself though I am disappointed that it is not going to have 7.1 audio like my BD10.

I saw a nice Gefen box at CES that had HDMI in and split the audio out as 7.1 analogs while feeding the video out HDMI.

This would be ideal for me, especially if it decodes DTS-MA etc...

Sadly I have not seen much of anything about it since the show so it may be a ways off...
The Guardian
Dolby Digital

Post by The Guardian »

Yes that would work too, except my PS3 will not bitstream DTS-MA....

My receiver is only 5.1 but it was fairly pricey and still has great sound so it would cost at least $1000 to replace with a new model sounding just as good with HDMI...
DAve
LPCM

Post by DAve »

5.1 - yeah the BD50 would seem to be the answer.

My amp has two 7.1 analog inputs ... needless to say it would cost a lot to replace it with an HDMI capable equivalent :D

I am hoping that the PS3 will decode DTS-MA internally eventually in any case... I had heard that they don't roll out software like BDLive or DTS-MA until similarly equipped standalones are available... so that might be causing the delay.
Hastor
DTS

Hastor

Post by Hastor »

Hey, really like the site, very handy. I'm what you'd call a lower level HD lover, that is I don't have a really nice setup but I really enjoy and support HD movies. Have been using an Xbox360 over component for HD-DVD and have a PS3 over HDMI, to a pretty small 1080i set, but the difference is still amazing to me. It is a 4x3 Sony that does 1080i in the widescreen area (and converts 720p). I've spent a lot of time in the service mode getting things perfect. My sound system is really nice for non-HDMI, but it is 6.1, has DD-EX (makes up a rear channel really well if movie isn't in EX), and DTS-ES 6.1. The consoles converting the sound when one supported by my receiver isn't there has still sounded great, so I'll be fine with this for a while.

Hope to contribute to the community in whatever small way I can. I'll likely be a nitpicker to help point out corrections when they are needed if I stick around :) I guess its all Blu-Ray now, and I'd have to say that I like both formats but was seeing a more constant standard of quality on HD-DVD transfers vs Blu-Ray. HD-DVD were just about always VC1 or AVC, wheras I've seen a ton of mpeg2 Blu-Rays. Also I've seen few HD-DVDs without at least DD+ wheras tons of blu-rays are just plain DD. There's also been more problems like the framing in the first Pirates movie, and the bad initial release of The Fifth Element on Blu-Ray. When the same title came out for both, using the same transfer, they both looked great. I know blu-ray can be awesome and has been, I just hope it doesn't slip up as often as it has and the quality control gets tighter. I never really took sides, and blu-ray winning means I get to use the HDMI connection, but I've always wished they'd have more frequent immaculate transfers. Not trying to start a war (the war is over), just replying to the topic in general.
DAve
LPCM

Post by DAve »

Corrections are of course welcomed.

DD+ and DD are not all that different. HD DVD is limited to 448 for DD so to get to 640 kbps DD+ was needed.

Blu-ray oddly can't use DD+ for 5.1 (but can for 7.1) or so I have heard - not sure what the reasons are behind that - so for BD, DD is what you get (limited to 640 kbps).

Post by Guest »

So when DD+ 640kbps is output as standard DD 640kbps by my player's conversion, is it a complete re-encode, or does it just drop info used by plus? (is there a slight generation loss?)
DAve
LPCM

Post by DAve »

I am not sure, sorry.