Desert Island BD Discs

Discussion of Potential New Features or Pages
whiskersland
Dolby Digital

Desert Island BD Discs

Post by whiskersland »

How about a list for members that allows us to enter our 10 Desert Island discs? I know it has been done elsewhere, but I imagine with your Stats page software these could be listed neatly and automatically totaled. The original idea with Desert Island Discs of course implied picks that could be enjoyed over and over. You are stuck on your lonesome with these 10 picks forever! It's not a critics top 10. Honesty can be tough, as guilty pleasures are relevant. Anyways I was thinking about mine today. Even if you aren't interested, here they are, in no particular order:

50 First Dates
Blade Runner
Alien
Pulp Fiction
Casablanca
Some Like it Hot
Lawrence of Arabia
Forest Gump
Groundhog day
Trainspotting
DAve
LPCM

Post by DAve »

That is an interesting thought.

Obviously some of your choices are not on BD yet...

I have been trying to imagine a way to have a top want list from users, after the User top 100 worked out well.

Perhaps for a start we can make the desert island discs known BDs or upcoming BD releases.

To go beyond that realm is not impossible, but certainly more difficult! :D
whiskersland
Dolby Digital

Post by whiskersland »

Hi, A few sites have recently discussed favorite films that are not on BD yet. I believe that desert island discs are "must buys" more than lets say the IMDB top 250 or AFI top 100. After all, I'm saying that if marooned on a deserted island forever, these are the 10 films I need! A top 100 that took into account those official lists, IMDB and AFI and a Desert Island disc list, would be very interesting, (and technically difficult no doubt). Bill Hunt's Bits still has the top 100 AFI "released on DVD" going, although I think all but African Queen are now. I for one would love to check the progress of BD releases on a top 100 list of some kind. Anyways I wonder if any of that interests you or is in fact practical? Hoping, and begging, regards, Harold
DAve
LPCM

Post by DAve »

I am sure it can be done, perhaps with reference to IMDb title tags (the IMDb tt number).

I will think more about how to implement this and come up with something...

Cheers!
Dave.
whiskersland
Dolby Digital

Post by whiskersland »

I'm looking forward to your progress, wishing I could help... A quick view of IMDB's top 100 shows about 25 are on or scheduled for BD. It looks complex as for instance my Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a non-USA BD like Trainspotting, but good luck!
DAve
LPCM

Post by DAve »

I have an idea on how to implement this though finding the time to do it will be the real challenge..!

Feel free to remind me if I don't have anything done in a couple of weeks.

Right now I have a big feature article to work on so that is taking a lot of my time.

Cheers!
Dave.