Weeds Season 1

Corrections or Additions to Statistics Database
Hastor

Weeds Season 1

Post by Hastor »

Weeds Season 1 is listed as having DTS-HD audio, which is indeed what the box advertises. However, as the disc's menu (and your audio receiver) will tell you, it is actually standard DTS-ES 6.1 audio (1.5mbps I think). If you can't double check yourself, I also notified highdefdigest.com about this, and their review now mentions this misprint as they checked it as well. Just thought you'd like to know.
Hastor
DTS

Post by Hastor »

Thought I might add that I think season 2 actually did offer dts-hd (or whatever was listed on the box), it didn't have a misprinting problem in any case. Just season 1.

Also, I just checked highdefdigest.com's review of it and they've edited to say they can't tell what the bitrate is and whether its DTS-HD or ES. Only people playing on PCs that report current audio bitrate have reported higher than 1.5Mbps, all standalones and PS3's report 1.5Mbps. I think the PCs are processing the audio and perhaps outputting a higher bitrate.

However, my proof that it is in DTS-ES (as the menu labels it) is that I play with a PS3 set to only output PCM stereo, DD, or DTS. When given DTS-HD it converts it to DTS 5.1. However with this it leaves the stream alone (as DTS-ES can be used by 5.1 receivers) and my receiver reports DTS-ES. If the disc was DTS-HD my receiver would simply say DTS after the conversion. Also, isn't the person doing the menu more likely to be closer to the production and get it right than the person doing the package design?
DAve
LPCM

Post by DAve »

I will see what I can find - I have both discs...

Post by Guest »

The Panasonic player reports the audio as DTS-HD.
Hastor
DTS

Post by Hastor »

I just find that odd because as far as I knew, the PS3 (my player) when enabled for DD and DTS output only offers conversion to 5.1 (at least those are the only abilities you can pick). If DTS-HD is re-encoded it makes it into DTS 5.1. However, since DTS-ES is a backwards compatible format, it doesn't convert it when its on the disc. As far as I know it can't convert TO DTS-ES but thats what my receiver reports, and uses the 6th channel. At least I've never see a PS3 convert to 6 channel DTS and its setup only offers you to enable DTS 5.1. Maybe your player reports ES as HD, it is pretty rare and maybe not all players can report it. hmm maybe someone will solve this puzzle. Sound is good anyways though and 6.1 channel for a show like this is a bit of overkill, but way better than underkill.
DAve
LPCM

Post by DAve »

I believe that the DTS-HD formats have a DTS core as well as the HD data. So maybe the core is ES.

In any case, the Pan reports HD - it is not necessarily correct, but it is the best info we have for the time being :)
Hastor
DTS

Post by Hastor »

Yeah I knew about the cores, I didn't know a core could be anything but 1.5mbps 5.1 though, but that makes sense. The fact that the box goes one way and the menu another is weird though. So does this mean that when I convert DTS HD to DTS, it isn't being re-encoded? I've often wondered what to convert to DTS and what to play in DD (especially since my receiver is DD-EX and matrixes the rear center for DD but not DTS, only uses it for true 6.1 DTS). Would I be experiencing a generation loss when converting to DD but simply playing the core when outputting in DTS? The PS3 will only let you output DTS-HD in DTS if you have DTS enabled, but with the 360 (for HD-DVD) makes you pick one or the other and outputs all movies in that format as far as I can tell. Just wonder when I should change settings. With a DD-EX/DTS-ES 6.1 receiver, what is it best to output each type of codec as with minimal loss? I mean anything DD+, DTS-HD, or higher.
DAve
LPCM

Post by DAve »

If you output DTS is should be the core, not a conversion of the DTS-HD.
DAve
LPCM

Post by DAve »

Looks like this decides it:

Weeds: Season 1 (10 episodes) MPEG-2 4:43:54 46,133,563,392 48,605,735,152 21.67 16.45 DTS-HD High Resolution Audio 6.1 3039Kbps DD AC3 5.1-EX 640Kbps

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre ... st13908389