Sony 60GB and 20GB models

Corrections or Additions to Statistics Database
Hastor
DTS

Sony 60GB and 20GB models

Post by Hastor »

I know the hardware list is in beta, but why are the original 60GB and 20GB PS3's not listed, just the newer 40GB and 80GB models.

As far as I know, the 80GB is really no different than the 60GB model, though I'm sure they are considered different makes by Sony. You can replace the hard drive yourself with any size anyways. However the 20GB version was different in that it lacked the memory card ports and didn't have wifi or as many USB ports. Also, all of them except the 40GB support PS1 and PS2 backwards compatibility (including downloadable games). I guess as far as playing Blu-rays, they are all equal, but if you are gonna differentiate between the 80GB and 40GB, might as well list the 60GB and 20GB as well. I'm sure more 20/60's exist as well since the 80/40's are pretty new.
Mehar
Dolby Digital

Post by Mehar »

The 20 and 60GB models are discontinued, the 60 and 80GB models are different in that the 60GB version includes the emotion engine and the 80 does not.

When it comes to playing movies they are all equal, I guess they were removed to save space.
DAve
LPCM

Post by DAve »

I think too that the PS3 is no longer considered to be needed to cover the PS2 bases like it originally did.

Now it stands on its own merits.
Whittmeister
Dolby Digital

Post by Whittmeister »

I have a 60 GB and I recall there being issues with its ability to bitstream Dolby True HD and DTS HD MA. Supposedly this was a hardware limitation of the 60 GB that was remedied on the 80 GB??? I have the latest firmware on my 60 GB and have hesitated on buying a new Yamaha receiver that can accept those two sound codecs because I am not sure that my PS3 can do it.

Anyway, that was one difference I have read online between the 60 and the 80. Whether it's totally true or not I don't know.
DAve
LPCM

Post by DAve »

I am pretty sure that the PS3 60GB will never bitstream the DTS MA and True HD data.

I am not sure if the 80GB and other future versions added the ability or not...

It will of course decode and put put LPCM over the HDMI, which should be exactly equivalent for a lossless codec - so it is kind of a moot issue.