Dolby Digital

WALL-E is 6.1

Post by Mr.G »

The WALL-E Blu-ray cover was mislabeled 5.1 when it is in fact 6.1

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1729/walle.html
DAve
LPCM

Post by DAve »

This has been a tough one to categorize, since some say it is 6.1 and some say they 6th channel is matrixed into the other two surround channels (like DD EX).

I can look into it though and see what I find.
Mr.G
Dolby Digital

Post by Mr.G »

Yes, I see what you mean. I researched the topic some more and found there was many confusing elements introduced depending on the Blu-ray player, HD receiver and even which version of the disc being played. Best regards.
DAve
LPCM

Post by DAve »

The current analysis shows that there are only 5.1 discrete audio channels in the DTS encode.

So the 6th is matrixed in.

Cheers!
The Scotsman
Dolby Digital

Wall E - is it 5.1 or 6.1?

Post by The Scotsman »

DAve wrote:The current analysis shows that there are only 5.1 discrete audio channels in the DTS encode.

So the 6th is matrixed in.

Cheers!
My PS3 shows DTS-HD MA 6.1 and I do get sound out of all 7.1 speakers in my system. My Yamaha RX-V863 shows 8 blocks on the audio format indicator. Isn't this a real 6.1 track? If not, then what IS a real 6.1 track? I didn't think they were still issuing sound tracks where the center rear is not matrixed in. Oh well, whatever.
DAve
LPCM

Post by DAve »

It is certainly possible that the software we use to analyze the sound track is in error.

It seems to detect the 7.1 on Chronicles of Narnia, so I really don't know.

I will see what my new Panasonic BD55 thinks of it...
DAve
LPCM

Post by DAve »

Ok, I after testing with the BD55 internal decoding I can confirm that I get the 7.1 surround channels.

I think this one is 6.1 after all.

Thanks for all of the input.

Cheers!
DAve
LPCM

Post by DAve »

Ok, the people in the know say that this one is definitely only 5.1 discrete channels with a matrix flag for the 6th channel (for both the core and the HD segments of the DTS).

As such it has been demoted to 5.1 again, since matrixed is not the same as 6.1 discrete channels.