Customizing search parameters

Discussion of Site Features Current and Future
whiskersland
Dolby Digital

Customizing search parameters

Post by whiskersland »

Hi,

I just pre-ordered Dark Knight from your link. Thanks for the heads up, and congrats on a very interesting site. I am really grateful to be able to use your Blu-ray stats library to check my collection. If you ever had time to allow us to choose our own column headings, (E.G. director and main actors), and let us filter with complete flexibility, (E.G. all Paul Newman films), that would be great. I imagine the info is all there from IMDB, but using that in conjunction with personal collections would be cool. I tried myself, with DVDs in the late 90's using a text program, Infogenie. It was very time consuming... But fun ultimately.

Anyway, thanks for all the good effort,

Harold
DAve
LPCM

Post by DAve »

Hi Harold,

Thanks for using the sponsored links - it all helps.

The filtering and such does require a good amount of code for each field to search on.

Currently I do not store the cast in the database so filtering per se is not possible based on cast.

However, there is a page for searching by actor or director, which works if that is the only thing you need to search by.

You can find it here: http://www.blu-raystats.com/actorSearch.shtml

Of course, that covers all BDs, not just your collection.

The design of the new stats pages was originally intended to allow general column headings, but to be honest it is not really there yet.

I hope to get there eventually.

It would be interesting to include 'mine' as a filter, so that it does the filtering and by only displays discs you own... perhaps when we have a few more users on board! :D

Anyways, thanks for your interest - I always enjoy hearing new ideas for the site...
DAve
LPCM

Post by DAve »

BTW, for most titles, directors are in the database.

If you use the movie page (http://www.blu-raystats.com/Stats/MovieStats.php) you can sort by director.
whiskersland
Dolby Digital

Post by whiskersland »

Hi,

I see now that your main library does have all that functionality. I remember when using Infogenie the cast was alway a problem as IMDB lists are huge and the stars are not alway listed in importance. I am grateful for all you've done. Thanks.

Off topic, did you ever make a graph of the Blu-ray vs DVD NPD market share, (since March 2008)? Looking at your tables I am estimating the mean average it as 7.25% . I thought I remembered a graph that did show an uptrend, although subtle.

Harold
DAve
LPCM

Post by DAve »

I used to have graphs for BD v HD DVD - I have not got around to the DVD graphs yet :D

The actor/director search does kind of the opposite of what you might expect. It executes a search for all the movies that a given person is in, and then compares that list to the Blu-ray list and lists the matches.

It is a little out of date though, so I guess I should add that to my todo list!
Bicgatepc02
Dolby Digital

Re: Customizing search parameters

Post by Bicgatepc02 »

I implemented that one. No problem. Finding the link in the banner is proving to be a little difficult. But I will keep poking around as I find time...